Junior High Religion at St. Patrick's
Mrs. Cathy Schmidt, grade 6
Mr. Andrew Ament, grade 7 & 8
Student learning is centered around six main elements: knowledge of the faith; liturgy and sacraments; morality; prayer; living as members of the Church; and evangelization and apostolic life.
Students will focus their studies on God’s Covenant and will trace it through each book of the Bible.
- Explain the formation of the Covenant
- Identify some of the primary characters in the history of the Covenant as related in the Bible
- Analyze the relationship between God and His people throughout the Bible
- Compare and contrast the old and the new Covenant
- Assess their own relationship to the Covenant
Students will focus their studies on the person of Jesus Christ.
- Identify who the person of Jesus is in both a historical and personal context
- Recognize the responsibility to form one’s conscience in relationship with Christ and His teachings through the Church
- Develop their awareness of making responsible choices in one’s personal life according to the mind of Christ
- Discuss as moral and vocation models both the saints and contemporary Christians whose lives are exemplary
- Examine how Christ calls them to full participation in the sacramental life of the Church
- Sacramental preparation
- Students will focus their studies on the Church and the Sacrament of Confirmation
- Express the nature and mission of the Church as being divinely ordained
- Analyze what discipleship is and how to live it out in the Church today
- Explain moral decision making and discuss how divine law assists in making correct decisions
- Review the history of the Church and evaluate how well the Church carried out her mission throughout the centuries
- Grow in an understanding of and prepare for the Sacrament of Confirmation
Expectations of Excellence
Students will strive to:
- Come to class prepared and ready to learn
- Engage actively in what is taking place in the classroom
- Participate in class discussions, prayer, and activities.
- Challenge to apply all that is learned in class to their own lives as a way to foster their understanding of the meaning of discipleship.
- Take what they have learned out of the classroom and put it to practice not only at home, in school, in their parish but also in their surrounding community.
- Deepen their spiritual lives through daily prayer, Eucharistic Adoration, praying the rosary as well as by practicing Lectio Divina.